Our expertise in the nursing home and long term care setting has allowed us to handle litigation involving nursing home malpractice, negligence, gross negligence, fraud, wrongful death and retaliatory discharge for large, multi-state nursing home owners and operators statewide.
Specifically, we defend:
- Nursing homes and skilled nursing facilities
- Assisted living facilities
- Nursing home administrators, nurses and other staff members
Because of the myriad of long term care issues that arise at any moment, Macdonald Devin lawyers have specialized knowledge in clinical standards of care, regulatory compliance, quality assurance and peer review, credentialing, and employment in the long-term care setting. We have lectured and written extensively on cutting-edge topics directly impacting the nursing home industry, and have presented seminars and in-service training to attorneys and industry members.
Below is a list of litigation Macdonald Devin has been a part of:
- Obtained several defense awards in arbitration matters defending a nursing home client in non-subscriber on the job injuries and Title VII discrimination employee related claims.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Texas Supreme Court on behalf of a nursing home client in a lawsuit regarding the death of a patient bitten by a brown recluse spider. This ruling reversed the holdings of the Court of Appeals and the trial court.
- Won dismissal for nursing home defendant on appeal in case in which plaintiff alleged the nursing home negligently allowed the decedent resident to sustain fatal injuries.
- Won a defense verdict in a jury trial which resulted in a take-nothing verdict in a lawsuit in which standard of care was at issue for a nursing home resident who had Stage IV pressure ulcers.
- Won appeal for nursing home, award of attorney’s fees on remand in a lawsuit in which the plaintiff sued a nursing home, alleging wrongful death arising from the health care provided to plaintiff’s grandmother.
- Won favorable ruling from the Texas Supreme Court for nursing home client in wrongful death case.
- Won defense verdict for nursing home in wrongful death case where plaintiffs sought damages up to $1 million.
Please contact us to learn how we can help you protect your business.